Photo courtesy of Karine Aigner Photography
I often work with Brides who wonder about the best way to extend hospitality to children attending their wedding. This is such an important question because, no matter their age, all guests should feel welcomed and cared for at special events such as weddings.
Once a Bride & Groom have determined to invite children to the wedding, the question then becomes how to ensure that the children and their parents alike have a wonderful time. First, a Bride must determine:
- How old are the children?
- How many children will there be of each age?
These questions will help a Bride determine what type of support will be needed to care for the children during the wedding and reception.
Also critical is speaking with each set of parents and asking them what would be most helpful for them.
- Would they like to have a babysitter for the children the entire time?
- Should that babysitter stay with the children at the hotel or should the children and the babysitter attend the events? Which events?
- What is the child’s bedtime?
- What are some of the child’s favorite toys, games, movies, learning activities and which of those favorites may still hold true by the time the wedding arrives?
- Does the child have any food allergies or other special needs?
- Will the child require a booster seat, a high chair, or a regular chair?
The answers to the above will help direct the Bride in her decision-making around how to entertain and care for the children. Perhaps a babysitter at the hotel is the right thing, or several babysitters in a room with games and activities, or more elaborate activities such as art projects or sports challenges set up with attendants.
Whatever a Bride ultimately decides to do, a custom bag of goodies for each child guest is always a nice gesture. The bags should be filled with age-appropriate activities for the child to enjoy, along with a welcome note sharing how delighted the Bride & Groom are that the child is there celebrating with them.
Here are a few ideas for some fun items to include in these custom bags:
Alexander Girard Alphabet Blocks
Melissa and Doug Wild Animals Jigsaw Puzzles
Melissa and Doug Pirate Puppet
Color Your Own Van Gogh Paintings coloring book